As I prepare to make somewhat of a transition in my ministry and in my life, It’s been hitting me hard that at some point in the next few weeks or months, I’m going to have to say Good bye to my students. It’s tough because I know there are many different kind’s of Good bye’s in Youth Ministry, mainly Good bye have fun in college or Good bye I’m leaving.
But today it hit me that there are a lot of tough things that Youth Pastor’s have to do as part of their job that no class in seminary can ever prepare you for.
I thought I’d make a list of the 5 Hardest things to do, mainly to pass along to some of my friends graduating this May to go into the wild with. Luckily, I have only had to deal with a few of these things, if you have done them all then I simply say thank you for loving kids.
1. Do the funeral of a Student in your Ministry
2. Help hurting students as their Parent’s go through a Divorce
3. Be with a student as they explain to their parents they are pregnant
4. Say Goodbye to a Ministry you are leaving
5. Explain to your Youth why you got Fired without causing further damage to the Church